Volleyball eliminated in third round of playoffs

In the third round of the playoffs, the varsity volleyball team reacts after winning the 4th set against Prosper 25-23.

David Siburt, Writer

The Mustangs varsity volleyball team went undefeated in district again taking the district championship for the second year in a row. They dominated the competition all season finishing with a 43-8 record.

“We played really well all year in district,” sophomore Emily Westbrook said.  “We have a ton of good talent this year, and our offense was a force in district play all year long.” 

In their first playoff game, the Lady Mustangs swept Allen High School in three sets and continued their dominance. They came out of the gate and won 25-15 in the first set and the next two sets ended 25-22 in the Mustang’s favor.

The second playoff matchup was against the Hawks of Rockwall-Heath High School. The Lady Mustangs again started strong taking the first two sets 25-13. The Hawks fought back and won the next two sets by narrow margins 25-22 and 25-20. But the Mustangs prevailed and won the final set 15-9.

“We felt like we couldn’t be stopped after not losing in district and then coming out and dominating Allen and Heath,” Westbrook said.  “We were definitely on top of the world before round three, and we knew whoever we would play would have to take us seriously.”

Round three for the Mustangs was against the number six team in the state–the Prosper Eagles. The game was a constant back and forth battle with Prosper taking the first set 25-17, and Sachse battling back and winning the second set 26-24. 

Prosper bounced back and took a 2-1 set lead with another 25-17 victory. With their backs against the wall, the Mustangs took the fourth set 25-23. This called for a decisive fifth set. The Mustangs had a huge 7 point lead, but the Eagles roared back to win the set 17-15 ending the Lady Mustangs’ season.