Belton ends Lady Mustangs playoff hopes

Senior Bibi Mata was named District 9-6A Offensive MVP.

Ethan Schmidt, Sports Writer

The Lady Mustangs playoff run ended early with a second round loss to the Belton Lady Tigers. 

Sachse was up early 2-1 going into halftime. It was looking to be another Sachse win and an advance to round three, but Belton scored two unanswered goals and Sachse fell just short. 

“It was a very heartbreaking loss, but we will be back better next year,” Coach Kristen Campbell said.

Sachse faced Rockwall-Heath in the first round  of the playoffs. The game was tied 1-1 going into halftime. Sachse got one good opportunity to take the lead in the second half to win it and took advantage of it.

The Lady Mustangs finished the season with an overall record of 19-4-2, averaging almost 4 goals a game. Their district record is 12-2 with the only two losses being against the Wylie Pirates. 

The Lady Mustangs had shutouts in 11 of 14 games in district. It was pure dominance, and they were looking as good as ever.

“We were very confident and excited heading into the playoffs,” junior Bailey Malone said. “We were playing well in all aspects of the game.”

During non-district play, the girls secured a solid record of 6-1-2. The only loss coming to a very talented Austin Vandegrift team. Another notable game in non-district play was the 2-0 win over the 19th ranked McKinney Boyd Broncos.

After a successful season, Sachse had 11 players make all district.

Senior Bibi Mata was named District 9-6A Offensive MVP.  Mata led the district in assists and made play after play all season.

“I’m very honored to win this award,” Mata said. “This wouldn’t be possible without my coaches and teammates pushing me everyday to get better.”

Those named to first team all district are senior Paige Baumgartner, junior Bailey Malone, sophomore Makenna Moran and junior Izzy Savattere.

All district second team members are freshman Ella Eischen and sophomores Emma Morton, Jilliana Reese and Gracie VanQuest. Honorable mention went to sophomore Emma Edwards and junior Brooke Lucht.