Mustang Theatre returns with musical ‘Matilda’

Arnold Angelo Aureo, Editor in Chief

After a year of not being able to perform due to the pandemic, Mustang Theatre is ready to perform the musical “Matilda” Sept. 30 through Oct. 2. The play is based upon Roald Dahl’s 1988 novel of the same name, which follows the story of a smart and clever girl Matilda.

Matilda has parents who do not show her any kind of support and constantly criticize her. Fortunately for Matilda, she has a supportive teacher named Miss Honey. Junior Trinity Hines plays the lead character Matilda.

“I was not fully expecting to earn the role of Matilda, earning the role felt like a dream,” Hines said. “Matilda is an outcast, which is something that I can relate to a little bit.”

The story covers topics such as self confidence and standing up for one’s self. Miss Honey, who is played by senior Emma Patton, learns this with the help of Matilda.

“Miss Honey has an impact on Matilda since she is the only one who believes in her,” Patton said. “Miss Honey was bullied by a lot of people in her life, so she and Matilda give each other a source of confidence.”

Senior Tyler Morgan said he is excited to be back on stage after plays were cancelled because of the pandemic.

“Performing is stressful but very rewarding,” Morgan said. “It’s very fun for me as well to perform as Mr. Wormwood, Matilda’s father, whose personality is very different from my own.”

Performances are at 7 p.m. each night Sept. 30, Oct. 1 and Oct. 2. in the auditorium. Tickets are $5 for students with a student ID, $10 for general admission and $15 for reserved seating.

“I really believe that Matilda is a fun show that students and their families will truly enjoy,” Morgan said.