Twins share ups and downs of being multiples

Courtesy of Elaine DaVault

Twins: senior Courtland Lamar, freshmen Drew DaVault and Sean Devault, and senior Keeland Lamar

Katelyn Serrano, Staff Writer

When you were a kid did you ever wish you had a twin–maybe after meeting twins in class? Now it’s almost inevitable that you’ll see one of Sachse’s 36 pairs of twins in school.

Most people can only imagine what it’s like having a twin. 

“It’s really nice to have someone you can always depend on, especially like anywhere in school and stuff like that,” sophomore Karena Danh said. 

She’s not the only one who has this sentiment. Junior William Anderson said his favorite thing about being a twin is “having someone that always has your back.”

“You basically have someone you can hang out with every single day,” junior Stephen Anderson said. 

Freshmen Sean and Drew DaVault both agreed that the best part about being a twin is that you’re “never lonely” and you “always have something to do”.

The DaVault twins’ mother, MAC teacher Elaine DaVault, said the two have always been there for each other.

“They would put extra candy or cookies in their pockets to give to the other when they were little,” she said. 

However, never being lonely comes with its own set of flaws.

“We can never be apart,” Karena Dahn said. 

Many of the twins at Sachse are identical, and being confused for their twin is nothing new to them. 

“I wouldn’t say it bothers me that much,” sophomore Trisha Danh said. “It just gets annoying, going throughout my day and having someone call me by my sister’s name.” 

Some twins say that it’s never bothered them at all when people get them mixed up. 

“It never bothered me a single bit,” Stephen Anderson said. “I never really understood why they kept on saying sorry whenever they messed us up. I mean we look similar so it’s bound to happen.”

On the contrary, some find it comical when others get them mixed up. 

“Y’know I like it when other people get flustered whenever I correct them,” junior Ailene Tran said. They’d be like ‘Hey Celine,’  and I’m like ‘I’m Ailene,’ and they get so apologetic. I think it’s the funniest thing.”

Ailene’s sister said she doesn’t tell people she has a twin because she likes to surprise people.

“I would never tell my classmates that I have a twin sister,” junior Celine Tran said. “I let them figure it out on their own. They’re like, ‘ thought I saw you in the hallway. You change your clothes fast!’ And I say, ‘that’s not me.’” 

A few twins even use being identical to their advantage.

“We can switch classes basically,” Trisha Danh said. “Mainly we did that in middle school.”

Being a twin makes it easier for some of them to cause some confusion or stir up some trouble. 

“You can get away with a lot of stuff,” senior Courtland Lamar said.

In fact, it’s not uncommon to hear about twins getting up to some mischief, even when they were younger.

“When they were less than two, one of them climbed out the side window and showed the other one how to climb out the side window, and they started walking to grandma’s house,” Elaine Devault said. 

Though some don’t mind being mixed up with their twin, a common trend that they are bothered by is being compared to their twin.

“People who don’t know us can’t differentiate,” Karena Danh said. 

Comparing goes beyond just their looks though. Many twins agree that people tend to compare everything about them from their test scores to their hobbies.

“Being compared just makes you feel like you’ll have to compete against the other person all the time, or that you’re inferior,” Stephen Anderson said. 

People don’t just mix them up by appearance, but by personality too. 

“It’s just like, we’re separate people too,” Celine Tran said.

Due to the especially close connection between twins, people tend to believe twins have some sort of deep telepathic relationship with each other that allows them to feel each other’s pain and emotions. 

“I think it’s very interesting, y’know,” Ailene Tran said. “I feel like we have that connection because whenever we were younger, every time that I’m not with Celine, she would start crying– especially as a baby.” 

Stephen Anderson said he has never experienced the telepathic relationship with his twin. 

“I would love to be connected with some super psychic mind powers, but that’s impossible,” he said. “But if I could, I would be annoying my brother every single day, every single hour. I would use him to cheat on everything”

To others however, it’s something they feel like they or their twin have experienced personally. 

“I had this surgery where I was getting stitches and apparently she was in pain too,” Trisha Danh said. 

Some of them even have stories where they believe they felt each other’s pain. 

“One time, we were going up the stairs of this really tall place, there were like a thousand steps, and I was crying at the bottom of the stairs because Ailene wasn’t with me,” Celine said.  “Ailene was already up ahead, but she was running too fast, so she fell down. Me crying when she fell and her falling down then crying was like instinct.”

Though most of them don’t believe they can feel each other’s physical pain, they do say they feel a special mental connection to each other. 

“Me and my sister have thought the same thoughts at the same time before,” Karena Danh said. 

Some twins feel like the connection between them isn’t that special at all, and chalk it up to them being friends. 

“I don’t believe that we can feel each other’s pain, but I do believe that twins are connected to each other in the same way best friends are connected to each other,” William Anderson said. 

Whether they have some sort of twin telepathy or not, most of them would prefer to be seen as a normal person and more than just a twin.

“As long as you get to know us as people, then we’re just like anybody else you’d see,” Celine Tran said. 

Even with some drawbacks, most twins still find themselves closer than regular siblings would be and cherish the experiences they have with each other.

“My favorite part of being a twin is getting to grow up with my brother and watching him become who he is now,” senior Emma Rangel said.