Lady Mustangs begin district with huge win

Genell McClendon

English teacher Cherise McCall cheers on the Lady Mustangs in their district opening winner against Lakeview.

Andrew Paredes, Sports Writer

The Lady Mustangs (8-6) started district play Friday, Dec. 10 with a 60-11 win against Lakeview Centennial (2-7). 

This win is a massive statement to the rest of the district. The Mustangs held the Lady Patriots to only 3 made field goals for the entire game. 

Freshman Charish Thompson finished with 15 points and 7 rebounds. Sophomore Neenah George finished with 17 points and 3 steals, Junior Crislyn Rose finished with 12 points and 4 assists. 

The team ended pre-district play on Dec. 4 with a 54-35 win against Richardson High School (6-7) in a home game that was part of the Curtis Culwell Invitational Tournament. 

The Lady Mustangs not only destroyed Richardson in this tournament, they also completely dominated Mesquite High School (6-2). Sachse ended up defeating the Lady Skeeters in a 55-23 blowout that highlighted the promise this Lady Mustangs team has. 

At the half, the Lady Mustangs were up 23-4, where they dominated the paint and played aggressively on defense in a manner that had the Lady Skeeters struggling to get even a shot up. 

When it comes to district play, the Lady Mustangs have very big goals according to point guard senior Criselle Mendoza. 

“We expect to win district for sure,” Mendoza said, “and then after that, we hope to get to state. That’s always the goal for us.”

This team has a lot of heart. Every player gives everything they have on both sides of the court. On defense, the Lady Mustangs are protecting the paint, taking charges, and diving onto the ground in order to get steals. A key part of that defense is small forward freshman Ckalynn Anderson. 

“I think that our defense is really solid,” Anderson said. “But there is always room to improve and get better.”