Lady Mustangs defeat Tyler Legacy in Bi-District game

Genell McClendon

Senior Zoria Heard hit 2,000 career digs during the game against Rowlett.

Andrew Paredes, Sports Writer

The Lady Mustangs (34-10) easily defeated Tyler Legacy (16-10) in three straight sets Monday night in the first round of the playoffs, 25-12, 25-13, 25-20.  

They will take on Waco Midway (25-19) in Corsicana at 6:30 p.m. Thursday

.

Prior to their playoff game, the Lady Mustangs (34-10) scrimmaged against the Allen Lady Eagles (22-12), and lost 2-3. These two teams have not faced off this season prior to this game, so this was an exciting matchup to watch before the playoffs officially started. 

“Going into the playoffs, I see us going deep once again after making it to the regional semi-finals last year. We have a very strong team,” defensive specialist senior Emily Westbrook said. “We are always aiming for state and looking forward to the battle ahead of us.” 

The final district game was against North Garland (8-24) on Tuesday, Oct. 26, when they beat the Lady Raiders in a 3-0 sweep.

Senior setter Zoria Heard hit a career 2,000 digs in the game against the Rowlett on Tuesday, Oct. 19. The game was briefly interrupted for a short celebration and recognition of Heard’s accomplishment.

“It felt amazing. It felt unreal,” Heard said. “This has been my fourth year, so it is not that much of a surprise, but it was pretty great.” 

Heard is now looking towards the playoffs and how Sachse will perform. 

“We are a young team. It’s going to be tough,” she said, “but I think we’ve got it as long as we stay strong and consistent.”

Sachse’s offense has also been a thing of beauty this season. This can be attributed to senior Macy Puckett, junior Macy Taylor and superstar sophomore Favor Anyanwu.