Homecoming week packed with events

Ryan Mitchell, Writer

Many of last year’s cancelled homecoming traditions return this year with a few changes in place to keep participants as safe as possible. 

To start the festivities, students will arrive on Monday to decorated hallways.  The juniors and seniors spend the weekend decorating the hallway by the gym and the freshmen and sophomores decorate the front hallway by the auditorium.  

There are also different dress up themes for each day during homecoming week.  On movie Monday, students are encouraged to dress us as their favorite TV or movie character.  Tuesday is iconic trio/duo day where groups of students can coordinate costumes.  Wednesday is pajama day and Thursday is fairy tale day.  Friday is Code Navy day and the day to wear mums and garters.

Making a return this year is the homecoming parade.  The parade starts at Sachse City Hall at 6:30 p.m. and moves down Miles Road where it concludes at Mustang Stadium.  Following the parade, everyone will gather in the stadium for a community pep rally. 

The pep rally includes performances by both drill teams, cheerleaders, band and step team along with the presentation of the homecoming court nominees. 

Because of district COVID-19 safety guidelines, the Friday homecoming pep rally will be held outside at Mustang Stadium. The 9th-11th grade homecoming court winners will be announced at the pep rally.

“Pep rallies are definitely my favorite thing we do here just because it brings out the most school spirit,” cheer captain senior Ashley Vega said.

With students now allowed to attend athletic events, the homecoming football game should have a packed student section unlike last year’s mostly empty stadium. The Homecoming King and Queen will be announced during the pregame festivities.

The Mustangs take on the Lakeview Centennial High School Patriots at Homer B. Johnson Stadium at 7 p.m.

“Although every game is important,” running back senior Luke Keefer said, “the homecoming game is extra special to the seniors–especially with it being our last homecoming.”

Also making a return this year is the traditional homecoming dance. Because of health concerns, the dance has been moved from the cafeteria to Mustang Stadium and changed to a celebration.  The theme is enchanted gardens and the celebration starts at 8 p.m. and ends at 11 p.m. 

Tickets to the celebration are $15 and sold during lunch this week.  Tickets the night of the celebration will be $20.  Students are allowed to bring a guest from another school, but a guest form has to be submitted by Wednesday, Sept. 15.

“We just want something for these kids on campus,” student activities director Lauren Ellis said.