Mustangs exit in 4th round of playoffs

District Goalkeeper of the Year senior Carlos Vasquez

David Siburt, sports writer

The Mustangs boys soccer team recently had the season end in heartbreak. A 20-4-4 season that saw the Mustangs push into the fourth round of the playoffs ended in penalty kicks after two scoreless overtimes.  The game against Bridgeland ended 3-3. 

Sophomore Cooper Tea scored all three goals for the Mustangs with assists from senior Ethan Sampson and junior Harun Spahalic.

“It still sucks right now having gone so far and losing by one penalty kick,” Tea said, “but we had an awesome run, and I know we will bounce back and dominate again next year.”

The Mustangs did indeed have a stellar playoff run with a 2-0 win over Mesquite in the first round. Sophomore Kevin Sotelo scored both goals with assists from senior Jonathan Majano and Tea.

They took the Area champ title with a narrow 3-2 win over Bryan High School in the second round. Majano, Tea and sophomore Haris Dunic scored with all three assists by Spahalic. 

In the third round the Mustangs had a home field advantage at HBJ where they defeated Mansfield Lake Ridge 1-0. Senior Dalessandro Rios scored the only goal of the game with an assist from Tea.

“We felt great heading into the playoffs,” junior Jorge Acosta said. ”We had just become district champs and were able to carry that momentum and get three really strong playoff wins.”