2022 seniors have new course option with African American literature

Ryan Mitchell, Writer

Instead of taking English IV, next year’s seniors have another option–African American Literature.  English teacher Shannon Johnson is scheduled to teach the course that is new to SHS but not new to her. 

Prior to moving to SHS, Johnson taught an African American literature  class for more than 10 years in St. Louis. She said she began talking about the class in 2013 when she realized it wasn’t  offered here. She said the real push for the class started around two years ago.

“This class means a lot to me because I taught it for so long before I moved to Dallas,” Johnson said. ”It enables me to be able to tell the story not only through literature but music, art and poetry as well.” 

Johnson said students can expect to examine the literary and artistic contributions of African Americans as well as the history and culture of Africa and the African American experience. The course will cover  the rich beginnings s of Africa, through the middle passage and slavery, the American Civil War, the civil rights movement and much more.

Students will be exposed to a variety of writers presenting views on the African American experience. There will be some outside reading, research projects and cooperative learning projects required for this course.

“One of the main points that I am trying to convey to the students is that this is not a class for just the African American students,” she said. “All are welcome.” 

The class is an English IV credit alternative to regular English IV which is English/British Literature for seniors.

Other new courses for 2021-2022 are:

Foundations of User Experience

Programmable Logic Controller 1

Occupational Safety & Environmental Technology

Advanced Animal Science

Practicum in Ag, Food, Nat Res

Audio Video Production 1

Family & Community Services

African American Studies

Mexican American Studies

AMS Discrete Mathematics

AMS Multivariable Calculus