Lady Mustangs make a comeback after COVID setbacks

Sophomore Crislyn Rose had 14 points, 9 assists and 7 steals against Naaman Forest.

David Siburt, Writer

The Lady Mustang basketball team has got off to a bit of a slow start this year with the coronavirus cancelling weeks of games and forcing them to play multiple back to back games. They have a 4-7 record overall and 3-3 in district play to start the year.

The Lady Mustangs last game was a tight 44-39 loss to the Wylie Pirates.

The game was tied heading into the 4th but the Mustangs were out scored 12-7 in the 4th quarter to take their  seventh loss of the year.

“It’s been a slow start so far,” senior Brianna Salazar said. “We have struggled to get into a rhythm and dropped our out-of-conference games. Just when we had a chance to build off a win, we got shut down, so we are glad to be back and playing for district.”

Sachse’s latest win was a 72-21 beatdown of Rowlett as the Lady Mustangs put on a scoring display and dominated the Eagles all game long.

“We finally had a game that we clicked,” junior guard Criselle Mendoza said. “We hadn’t been scoring well, but finally in this game, we went into a groove driving to the basket and finishing inside.”

The Lady Mustangs have had two other dominant wins in district with a 75-13 blowout over North Garland and a 69-8 beatdown of South Garland.