Volleyball serves opponents

Lady Mustangs undefeated so far this season

Sophomore Macy Taylor starts the season with five kills against Coppell and six kills against Creekview. File photo from 2019 season.

David Siburt, Sports Writer

The Lady Mustangs volleyball team has started the 2020 season 3-0 in non conference games. They dominated their first three games winning each in three sets.

“It felt great to have such a long break from last season,” junior Macy Puckett said. “It was awesome to go out there again and compete with my team. We can’t wait to continue our season.”

The Mustangs latest game was a three set to zero win over the Coppell Cowboys on September 19. The Mustangs took the first set 25-18 and didn’t look back taking the next set 25-18 and the third a little closer, but still no problem for the Mustangs, at 25-21.

“It was another good win for us, and we feel like we are really rolling right now,” junior Emily Westbrook said. “We haven’t lost a set, and if we can continue playing like this we will be hard to beat.”

The season opener for the Lady Mustangs was on September 15 against the Creekview Mustangs. The game was a blowout from the start. The first set was 25-12, and they followed that up with a 25-9 second set and ended with 25-14 in the third set. 

On September 18 Sachse was matched up with Allen. This game was slightly closer with the first set 25-21, the second 25-19 and finally 25-14 in the third to finish off the Eagles.

Although the Mustangs started the season off on a roll, they won’t be able to continue play until they clear the district’s coronavirus protocols. Several players tested positive, so the team is quarantined, but the Mustangs can’t wait to get back out there.

“Being stuck with no Volleyball is pretty hard,” sophomore Macy Taylor said. “Even though we can’t play, we all are very excited to get back and can’t wait to work hard and put all of this behind us.”