We are family

Students and parents: Junior Shaun Larson & language arts teacher Kara Larson; sophomore Jaydon Gibbs & diagnostician Shara Gibbs; junior Dylan McKeon & math teacher Tami McKeon; freshman Jhett Creel & principal Shae Creel; freshman Crislyn Rose, junior ShaNyais Rose & special education teacher ShaTonya King; freshman Abigail Smith & special education teacher Nancy Smith

Ashton Tilley, Writer

Students and parents: Senior Tarynn Luttrull & counselor secretary Tina Luttrull; junior Lauren Lopez, freshman Alyssa Lopez & counselor Linda Lopez; sophomore Noor Damrah & math teacher Moeen Damrah; freshman Madison Littrell & choir director Kristin Poligala.
Students and parents: Sophomore Camryn Parker & social studies teacher Collette Parker; senior Christina Rawlings, sophomore Courtney Rawlings & special education teacher Lisa Rawlings; junior Jackson Halbach & special education teacher Steve Halbach; freshman Holly Hawkins & technology education teacher Paul Hawkins; sophomore Trinity Murdock, senior Rebekah Murdock, language arts teacher Elizabeth Murdock & theatre director Joseph Murdock; senior Samuel Presley & engineering teacher Randy Scrudder; junior Lauren Crook & assistant principal Melinda Crook; senior Dallas Murray & language arts teacher John Murray.

Imagine what it would be like if your parent worked at the same school you attended. If you did anything bad, your parent would surely hear about it from other teachers. Other students might also accuse you of getting special treatment because of a parent.  This is the reality for 26 SHS students. 

Freshman Jhett Creel has the added pressure that his father is Principal Shae Creel.  

“It’s really great to have my dad as the principal because he is a great person, but the downside is that people think he gives me special treatment,” Jhett said.

There’s also the additional time many of these students have to spend at school because their parents have to come early or stay late for meetings and tutorials. 

“I have had a few new experiences this year that include driving with my dad to school and getting to school earlier because of that,” Jhett said. “Sometimes I have to stay late, but it does give me time to do homework.”

Siblings Trinity and Rebekah Murdock, attend school with both of their parents–special education teacher Elizabeth Murdock and theatre teacher Joseph Murdock. Trinity is a sophomore and Rebekah is a senior.

“I like having both my parents and sister go here because it gives me people to talk to and makes the school feel like home,” Trinity said.  Rebekah agreed and said school was more fun with her whole family on campus.

Freshman Alyssa Lopez has the advantage of having a mom who is a counselor.

“It is a little weird, but I also like it because she can help me choose my classes, and she knows all the classes this school has to offer,” Lopez said. “Sometimes other kids think she can get me into any class that I want to be in even though she can’t.”

Even though most people would think it is hard on the student having a parent working at the school, it can also be difficult for the parent.  Special education teacher ShaTonya King has two daughters who attend SHS. 

“When they are not doing so well–making typical teenage mistakes–or failing to turn in an assignment, you better believe my colleagues are going to contact me,” King said.  “They do make my workload heavier because I have to be a teacher, colleague and mom all at work.”

But, the upside to everyone at the same school is the combined family school spirit.

“My children play sports so our school spirit is on 10 due to our high level of competitiveness,” King said.