Burn calories at the Turkey Trot before the big meal

Senior+Abigayle+Gerber+ran+the+5K+last+year+and+placed+6th+in+her+division.++

Nancy Lozano

Senior Abigayle Gerber ran the 5K last year and placed 6th in her division.

Christopher Goodwin, Writer

Nancy Lozano
Senior Emily Foster joined family and friends at the last year’s Turkey Trot.

Before you gobble down your Thanksgiving feast, run on over to the 16th Annual Sachse High School Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning,Thursday, Nov. 28.  The event supports the Class of 2020.

“This event was given to the senior class and each year they host/organize the Annual Turkey Trot,” class sponsor Tara Hakes said.  “The funds raised will help supplement the class of 2020 senior activities such as their prom.”

There will be two different races:  the one mile fun run and the 5k. Prizes for the 5K will be awarded to top runners in various age groups. The oldest runner also received a prize, and medals will go to the top three runners. 

“The ultimate goal is for everyone to feel welcome and join this event,” Hakes said. “By offering these two types of races, it opens up our event for anyone to participate.”

The 5k is certified with the course being approximately 3.1 miles following a route on Miles Road. Compton Time & Measure has certified the course. All results will be available on GetMeRegistered.com/Sachse High School.

“A certified race officially verifies that the course is the distance it’s supposed to be,” Hakes said. “Our race will be timed using a disposable Bib-Tag timing system.”

Anyone who doesn’t want to run but still wants to be involved can volunteer on the Class of 2020 Booster Club Facebook page.

Walk-up registration and packet pick up starts at 7 a.m. The fun run begins at 8 a.m. and the 5k at 8:30 a.m. Registration is $30 per person if registered before Nov. 27. Walk-up registration on the day of the event is $35 per person. Discounts will be offered to both seniors and kids. Participants receive a free t-shirt.

“We are still looking for walkers and runners to participate in this year’s event.” Hakes said.