Varsity defeats Coppell in rematch

courtesy of Brad McClendon

Sophomore Jordan Nabors attempts to break a tackle in the first game of the season against Coppell. Nabors rushed for 40 yards on six carries.

David Siburt, Writer

The Sachse Mustangs kicked off the season with a thrilling, down to the wire 33-30 comeback  win over the Coppell Cowboys after having a slow start and losing last year’s game by 1 point on a last second field goal.

Sophomore quarterback Jordan Nabors made his varsity debut and charged up the Mustang offense after trailing 16-0 at the end of the first quarter. He rushed for 40 yards on six carries and a touchdown. He also added 35 passing yards on his one completion.

“The offense clicked when I got in because we use a different formation that is a really weird look for defenses,” Nabors said. “I’m a mobile quarterback so it’s a lot harder for the defense to read our looks and figure out who is getting the ball. Our offense is centered around our run game, and when I’m in it takes us to the next level.”

Junior quarterback Parker Wells came in the second half and took over with 55 yards passing and a touchdown. 

Junior Shon Coleman also had a breakout game for the Mustangs and was the focal point for the offense with 132 yards rushing on 25 carries and 63 yards receiving on four receptions with two rushing touchdowns.

The Mustang defense stepped up after the first quarter after giving up 16 early points. In the next three quarters the defense gave up a combined seven points, and the special teams unit gave up a kick return touchdown that kept the game a little interesting towards the end.

The Mustangs look to build off their comeback win against Coppell when they face the 34th ranked team in the state the Euless Trinity Trojans at the Cotton Bowl under the Friday night lights.

“Our defense is going to have to get prepared because we have a big challenge Friday, and Trinity has a lot of big boys that we look to tire out on offense,” Nabors said.