Chromebooks join iPads

Chromebooks+deployed+Sept.+3-6+for+freshmen+and+sophomores.+

Chromebooks deployed Sept. 3-6 for freshmen and sophomores.

Arnold Angelo Aureo, Staff Writer

Starting Tuesday, Sept. 3, students may notice a change in technology for half of the student body.  Freshmen and sophomores will be using Chromebooks instead of iPads this year as the district begins to phase out the iPads. 

Garland ISD is phasing out the iPads because they are more expensive to maintain. 

According to Ready 1:1 Coach Jennifer Temesvary, the iPads cost $350 to replace when lost or broken, whereas Chromebooks are only $219. The Chromebooks are also expected to perform better as they are equipped with keyboards while having a touchscreen at the same time.

“The district is changing, and the iPads are going out of date. Instead of replacing them with more iPads that are newer, they just decided to go with the Chromebooks to try something new,” Temesvary said.      

The Chromebooks’ versatility excited most students. But at the same time, its lack of protection concerned them. Freshman Lance Severn is looking forward to using the new technology.

“If you fold the Chromebook up, you will just get yourself a tablet, so it’s two-in-one,” Severn said. “In terms of durability, they are about the same. The iPads have the cover protecting them which makes them a little bit stronger than Chromebooks.”

Temesvary is aware that the iPads are more protected than Chromebooks. Students will be instructed on the basics of using the Chromebooks as well as how to take care of the new technology.

“When you all get the instructions on how to use it, each of you aren’t supposed to walk around with them as they can break easier than the iPads,” Temesvary said.

Juniors and seniors will still be using iPads this year as they are phased out over the next two years.   Some upperclassmen questioned the district’s decision to offer the Chromebooks to underclassmen.

“We have homework on computers, and sometimes we can’t do it on our iPads,” junior Smon Emahazien said. “I feel like the underclassmen should have iPads.”  

Chromebooks are scheduled for deployment Sept. 3-6, and iPads are scheduled for Sept. 10-12. during English classes.  Only those students who have completed the AUP/1:1 forms, paid the technology fee/deposit, and have no outstanding replacement or repair fees will receive Chromebooks or iPads.