Guest speaker to address suicide

Teri Holamon

Hines, a suicide survivor, will come to Sachse on May 23 to speak about suicide.

Kristin Gooding, Writer

To bring awareness to mental health issues, Sachse is hosting an assembly with suicide prevention speaker Kevin Hines on May 23.   Hines survived a suicide attempt off the Golden Gate Bridge and is the best selling author of his memoir “Cracked Not Broken, Surviving and Thriving After A Suicide Attempt.”

Since the auditorium cannot hold the entire student body, there will be a live stream of Hines from the auditorium to all the classroom TVs.  Hudson Middle School students will also get to hear his talk. They will walk over and watch Hines live stream in our gym.

“I wanted to do something [inviting Hines] for our students so that they could hear a message of hope and healing,” LIGHT counselor Teri Holamon said.

GISD has also taken the initiative to train teachers on how to spot mental illnesses, such as depression and anxiety, and then refer students to the LIGHT counselor on campus. All LIGHT counselors are trained mental health counselors and are available to help students whenever they’re feeling stressed about any aspect in their lives.

According to the National Alliance of Mental Illness, 1 in 5 students suffer from mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression. Some students aren’t even aware they have anxiety or depression.

“Teens need to educate themselves on anxiety and depression,” Holamon said. “The stigma with mental illness is that you can control it somehow. What people don’t understand is that it’s a medical condition, and it can be treated.”

The district aims to provide support and education through guidance lessons, counseling, crisis intervention, and community resources. Educating parents and students alike on mental health can save a life.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health suicide is the second leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 34.

At the beginning of the year, the district held a community event to promote mental wellness called “You Matter.” Since then they’ve used this phrase as a message of hope. The phrase tells students that they’re important to everyone including GISD.

Seeking help is important. If you are having suicidal thoughts, please reach out to Holamon in the LIGHT counselor’s office or call the suicide hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Update- Hines was unable to come on May 23 due to an unforeseen accident but is planning on rescheduling in the fall.