BSA prepares for Black History Month

BSA prepares for Black History Month

Makeda Ephraim, Staff Writer

The month of February pays tribute to all the fearless black men and women whose achievements and ideas have been overlooked due to the color of their skin.

Black History Month started off on the second week of February as “Negro History Week” in 1926. Black civil rights activist Carter G. Woodson provided courses where they would go into majority black schools and teach students about giving praise to the many black men and women who contributed to society and about the origins of their people. 

As ‘Negro History Month’ grew it became Black History Month.

“It shows all the important events that black people have been through in the entire timeline since we left Africa, especially to educate people who might not know,” junior Trinity Hines said.

The Black Student Association (BSA) will help the school commemorate Black History Month awareness all through the month of February.  

BSA is a club where students are able to learn about African and African American customs, culture, issues, and interests. 

“I chose to join BSA, to find a place where I could talk to other black people about how I felt,” Hines said. “Specifically after the Black Lives Matter thing happened, I felt like ‘here’s some people that I could probably talk to about how I’m feeling about what’s going on.”

Many black students see BSA as a place where they can talk about personal struggles in a majority white school. It serves as a safe space for the black students of this school.

“I joined so I could help other black students come together, make a change, help other black students feel comfortable, and be a part of this safe space,” BSA President Jerica Pritchett-Collins said.

During Black History Month, BSA will provide interesting historical and contemporary facts about the achievements of black people on the morning announcements. 

GISD is also hosting a Black History Month Celebration on Feb. 17, at the Granville Arts Atrium in Garland. Pritchett-Collins, Marketing Manager Trinity Hines and Secretary Landon Mumphrey will serve as hosts for this event.