Lady Mustangs continue their winning tradition

Genell McClendon

Sophomore Favor Enyanwu returns for her second season on varsity. Last season Enyanwu had 53 sets and 127 kills.

David Siburt, Sports Writer

The varsity Lady Mustangs volleyball team kicked off the season with a commanding  start in non-district play with a record of 13-4. They are expected to dominate in tournament and non-district play. 

The Lady Mustangs Latest victory was a 3 sets to none pounding over Lake Highlands Tuesday night.

The first two sets the Lady Mustangs cruised to 25-12 and 25-11 wins before scraping across the final set with a 26-24 win.

The Lady Mustangs had three games on Saturday at the Northwest ISD tournament and lost to Lovejoy and V.R. Eaton two sets to none.  They ended the day on a high note taking a two set to none victory over Northwest ending the weekend tournament with a record of 4-2 after going 3-0 on Friday.

Pre district games have been against some of the top talent in the state. V.R Eaton is currently ranked third in the state, and Lovejoy is ranked seventh.

The Lady Mustangs come into the season ranked number 39 in the state.

“The competition level these first few weeks has been very high,” junior Macy Taylor said. “These are the teams that will make it far in the playoffs, and if we can stay competitive in these games, I think we can dominate in district and make a good run come playoff time.”

The Lady Mustangs biggest obstacle to the district title this year will again be the Wylie Pirates. They start district play at home against Wylie Sept. 10. Last season the two teams split 1-1 in their two matchups with Wylie ultimately taking the district title.

“The Wylie game is definitely important for us this year,” senior Macy Puckett said. “We had a tough loss to them last year, and we want nothing more than to win both of those games and take district undefeated.”

Last season they reached the 4th round of the playoffs defeating Tyler Legacy, Waxahachie and Mansfield before losing to Klein who was ranked 53rd in the nation and sixth in the state.