John Robinson’s legacy

Assistant band director and percussion director John Robinson

Jacob Simon, Writer

Colorguard instructor Jorge Morales captures a selfie with assistant band director John Robinson.
Percussion director John Robinson works with the drumline during summer practice.

Assistant band director John Robinson passed away  Dec. 5, 2020. He influenced many people during his career as a band director in Oklahoma and Texas.

“Mr. Robinson was a kind soul who truly cared for all of his students. I had the honor of knowing him since I was in the 6th grade back at Hudson,” junior Brooke Byrd said. “In Honors Band my freshman and sophomore year, Mr. Robinson called us his “gang” (quoting Scooby Doo).”

After graduating from college, Robinson started teaching in Oklahoma. In 2002, he took a job at Grand Prairie High School in Grand Prairie, Texas. He inspired and pushed students to do their best all along the way.

“My freshman year I was on the fence about quitting the band,” senior Parker Morrison said. “That’s when I was pulled aside and was told by Mr. Robinson, to not be the one kid who comes to school and leaves at 2:50.  I’ve taken those words and stayed in band all four years and even expanded my after school activities to honor societies and clubs.” 

In the fall of 2006, Robinson joined the staff at SHS as the percussion director. He also conducted the Honors Band during concert season. 

“I’m forever grateful that he took a chance on me and gave me a piccolo solo the first year I ever learned how to play the instrument,” Byrd said. “He was truly the definition of selfless, and I miss him dearly.”

His dedication to the Mustang Band and impact on students will be missed.

“He was the most caring person I’ve ever known, and deeply connected to as many students as he could,” junior Mateo Cuevas said. “He helped all students get past their own struggles while being a great role model. I don’t think I’ll find someone like Mr. Robinson in my life again, but I hope I can lead and care for others just as he did.”