Ring ceremony plans still pending

At the 2019-2020 ring ceremony, Alejandro Aguilar receives his ring from Spanish teacher Will Miller.

Ike Edmondson, Writer

Along with the milestone of ordering a class ring, comes the new tradition of the ring ceremony which is still in the planning stages because of COVID restrictions.

The Class of 2021 was the first to have a ring ceremony in December 2019.  For the ceremony, students chose a teacher to present their ring.  The teacher who was chosen could have been from any grade level.

“They (class rings) create an identity with the class you are a part of,” Student Activities Director Lauren Ellis said.  “You get to show off your school pride and involvement.”  

The ceremony was originally scheduled for December, but the date was delayed because of COVID. 

Ellis said there is “no definite month yet until we evaluate whether it is going to be held inside or outside.” 

The venue is still undecided. Ellis said students attending the ceremony will complete an interest survey to determine where to have the ceremony.

“We are going to give the options of holding outside at Mustang Stadium or in the auditorium, and doing it socially distanced with limited attendance for their families,” Ellis said. “ Regardless if we hold the event inside or outside, we will be safe with the event.”  

In order to attend the ceremony, students should have ordered a ring through one of the approved vendors by the end of December. The final Balfour deadline to order a ring in the end of January.

About one third of the students who participated in a class ring survey said they had purchased a class ring. 

“I liked that I could choose something that I could wear in the future,¨ junior Madison Gates said.