New club offers perspectives on STEM careers

First Name Unknown Veer, Writer

Women in STEM is a new club that gives women a place to learn and discuss their interests in the field of science technology engineering and math.

According to the STEM Education Data by The National Science Board women make up 50 percent of the workforce of the US, but only 28 percent of the workforce in science and engineering.

“Women in STEM is a place for girls to discuss their STEM interests, and it provides them with resources for college,” said senior Tarynn Luttrull, President of Women in STEM.

Male students are also welcome to join Women in STEM. 

“We do have boys that can join our club, basically they can learn how they can be supportive of girls who are pursuing STEM,” Luttrull said.

The group meets twice a month.  The first meeting of the month is dedicated to discussion about different areas of study. The second meeting of the month, they host a guest speaker from a STEM field who can give the club members insights about critical topics.

Luttrull also explained that the guest speakers can become resources for the members who they can contact and connect with as well as ask questions about their interest areas.

During the Sept. 27 meeting, the club invited Sharlee More who has a Ph.D. in chemical engineering to share her experience as a consultant for Chem Risk.

More also shared her educational experience and the struggles that women have. She explained one of her struggles was with a condition known as imposter syndrome, which is a collection of feelings of inadequacy that persist despite evident success.

“The guest speakers help us because it’s a way to educate people on the processes they have to go through to get into a career that they are interested in,” Luttrell said.  “It can also help people become interested in a career they never thought they would be interested in.”