Class officers overcome last minute venue change

Prom moved from Dallas to Rockwall

Genell McClendon

Dallas Murray, Writer

More than a year ago, the senior class officers thought they had the hardest part of prom completed–deciding on and booking the venue.  But in late December, they had to start the search over with less time and fewer venues available for the May 11 event.

“We had planned months in advance to go to the top of Cityplace in Uptown [Dallas],” Senior Class Vice President Kyle Penner said.

The officers booked Cityplace in March of 2018, but the building was transferred to new owners who didn’t believe that a high school prom was ‘fancy enough’ for their venue, Penner said.

“We would have had a beautiful view of downtown Dallas at night,” he said.  “Everything was covered in mahogany. There are giant windows everywhere.”

As an alternative, the new management offered the class officers a downstairs room that is more like a convention center room.

“Instead of wasting time and money fighting them, we decided to pick another venue,” Penner said.

The senior prom will now be at the Hilton Hotel in Rockwall which is on the shores of Lake Ray Hubbard.

“Though the location choices were rather slim, I think the Rockwall Hilton will do just fine,” Penner said.

Despite the shift in venue, planning for the event continued. The theme was one of the first aspects to be decided upon.

“The [decorating] theme is enchanted forest, but the name is A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” Senior Class President Kara Vo said. “By enchanted forest, we were thinking earthy tones, jewel tones, fairies, and the like. It will literally be a magical night.”

The senior class officers cycled through various decorating ideas before deciding on the enchanted forest.

“We were planning prom at an officer meeting, and we kept thinking up different themes that we thought were overdone,” class officer Bethany Weldon said. “I came up with the enchanted forest, and although everyone thought it was a terrible idea at first, they all eventually settled for it.”

Besides the obvious music and dancing, the evening will also feature casino games, photo booths where you can create flipbooks, and several types of finger foods.

“You could also win door prizes,” Weldon said. “It’ll be fun no matter what you do because it’s prom; it’s what you make of it.”

As part of their fundraising efforts, the senior class has hosted various events, such as the Turkey Trot and a car show. Although most of the money raised will go towards senior scholarships, some will also help pay for prom.

“The majority of our prom money comes from the tickets sales,” Penner said.

The price per prom ticket depended on when seniors completed their senior contracts.

“If you locked down your senior contract before last May, tickets were $100,” Weldon said. “If you waited until December to lock it down, the tickets cost $120. At this point, the tickets are $140.”

Seniors can invite a non-senior to prom, as long as the guest is not over the age of 21. Dance permission slips, which can be found in the AP Office, must be filled out for a date who isn’t a Sachse senior to attend prom.

“You have to make sure that your date has a ticket and an ID,” Weldon said. “If you lock down your ticket at a certain price, then your date’s ticket price is the same.”

Prom dress code is anything Sachse appropriate. Students who have questions about appropriate prom attire should ask an administrator in the AP Office.

“You don’t have to fit the theme, but you still need to be within the prom dress code,” Vo said. “You can wear strapless dresses, but nothing too revealing.”

Tickets will be sold until the end of April, but the Class of 2019 Sponsors suggest buying tickets as early as possible.  As of April 16, 469 tickets have been sold.