Best Spider-Man movie yet

Dallas Murray, Editor

I know, I know. This is getting old. ANOTHER Spider-Man movie just came out. How original of the directors. This is the seventh Spider-Man movie in 18 years.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse opened on Dec. 14, and it is the first animated Spider-Man movie in the series. Although it might be considered an inferior entry in the series,  Into the Spider-Man: Spider-Verse might just be the best Spider-Man movie yet.

The movie stars Miles Morales, an Afro-Latino teenager living in Brooklyn. Morales is a student at a new elite boarding school who is trying to adapt to the new environment. While out spraying graffiti, he’s bitten by a radioactive spider that gives him superpowers.

Meanwhile, a New York crime boss named Kingpin builds a Super Collider to gain access to other dimensions. When he turns it on, five dimensions are connected to his, and five other Spider-Men are brought into the world. Together, the six total Spider-Men must come together to stop Kingpin from connecting more dimensions and destroying reality.

The movie’s animation is unique in the fact that different animation styles are used between the six Spider-Men. One is hand drawn, another is completely black and white, and a third is extremely cartoonish. Add in a comic-book text box popping up every time Morales thinks to himself, and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse feels like a comic book being played out.

The cast includes household like actors Nicolas Cage, Mahershala Ali and Liev Schreiber, singer Hailee Steinfeld, and comedians Jake Johnson and John Mulaney. Actor Shameik Moore plays Miles Morales.

The movie’s soundtrack also has an array of popular artists, such as Post Malone, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and XXXTentacion (posthumously).

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is rated PG; It’s a movie for everyone, regardless of age. The plot is easy to follow for both Spider-Man fans and people who are not familiar with Spider-Man lore. As of Dec. 15, the movie has a 97 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes with 232 reviews. This is definitely a movie you’ll want to see during the Christmas season.